Today while working on some projects I put some tools together to do something really fun. YoutTube is a great serice where videos from around the world are shared and viewed from a web browser. So successful, YouTube may also be found on devices such a iPhones, and similar devices. One problem is that you have to go to their webpage and typically you can only watch or embed videos from the YouTube page.
The tool I found allows you to download a YouTube video, saving the video as a file on your desktop. From there the possibilities of reusing the videos increase. You can embed the video in a presentation, keep a collection for viewing on a computer that is not connected to the internet or watch them from a video device like an iPod.
The latter method of viewing them from your iPod is what I wanted to demonstrate here. Doing so will allow you to view these non-copyright protected files when you are not connected to the internet.
Step One – Download the Video
- Find the video on YouTube you wish to download.
- Copy the URL (address) of the video.
- Open a separate web page http://keepvid.com
- Paste the URL in the blue Download bar found at the top of the screen
- Press the Download button
- Move down the page to the green section called Download Links
- Select the version appropriate for your project (here we will select the high quality mp4 version)
- The Save As box will appear giving you the chance to save the file. For our example select c:\documents and settings\username\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes_Video (your path may vary – point is just remember where it is)
Following these steps will allow you download the video file from the site to your computer.
In a future post we’ll discuss how you may copy these to your iPod or similar device.